France vs. Italy Challenge - Rules and Leaderboard

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

for concluding..... some precisations

I,ve consulted your site and i've been controlling with attenction your scores that from my point of view are very low, exept some cases. So i thinked that winning would have been easy (personal opinion). This was only one consideration of mine, unfortunately wrong, because this contest showed that you can play well, yours reached first placed it's the example and i've understimated you.

I played normally, limited by the lack of spare time, for the whole month of february and the first two weeks of march. I had to sacrify the game that i choose (on witch i wonted to realize one million, whitch techique of the moneybag it's only one of the many secrets to increase the score) but i had to play for the team and i had to play on the other games that i did't know (about 19xx i had the basis, pulstar was well known, the others i've never seen before).
As seen that this was a timed contest, and there were 10 games to work on and considering that we are not so young anymore so we all have a job (at least for me), you can easily understand that it would have been best for all thinking about sending replays only at the end, posting only screenshots in the mean time. I don't even thinked about this, because as i said before, i undestimated you, moreover redstar had 7.2 m pts at 19xx that's very low, i couldn't preview that icould possibly improve (even if sometimes he duplicated the most important techiques, and pay attenction, thi are techiques for player like us, the one who made the inp on aiva i nearly a god). If it has been a one only game contest, two months, or just one it would have been enough to show our abilities, in that case, the winner should have been who really deserved it, copying or not.

After copying at Pulstar (that i've discovered after 10 years of research) i've stopped playing, i've finished 19xx of which i've imposed myself to beat GSH. I haven't done anything else, because i was angry and tired. I was able to reply with any problems but i was so in ager that i've deleted the rom from the directory. The only game of with i've hided the tecnique is Wardner. A too easy game of with is enough to see the technique just once to reproduce it immediately. Sending a replay and revealing the efforts of a month of sacrifices have only meaned one thing: the defeat. And we don't permitted that. And i don't think absolutely don't feel guilty.

In the real life i don't see nothing wrong in finding and learning the best strategies of others players and even widen them. But you must see the things in the context that regards our situation in this momento and don't generalize.

My mentality it's the same of japanese. If i find a techinque i keep it for me and i use it to win. If i see someon that tries to look and learn mi secrets, i turn off the game and i get away. It's my knowledge and i'm decided to show it, but i prefer to use thi secret at the right moment. A competition it one of this moments. Anyway therse who play "frindly" like you say, and who spend much time only to find secrets , like i did for 20 years. Personally, because my life is really stressed up, i don't ever play for score by myself, the only occasion is for a tournament or something similar.

Using screeshots the records probably would have been lower, but surely they must have been completely done by our only abilities.

This is what it was remained to be said.
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

I want to say only a final word.
I'm the only one who say we'll lose from you and have great respect for all your team (especially jyd and redstar); the respect that I lost in these 2 months I hope to resume soon watching good replay on marp.

And if you want to know all,I'm more angry with gemant because he spend all march playing wardner instead of others games. He don't care about contest and only want to make the perfect wardner replay.
At the end he f*uck me without tell me nothing, when I was playing other games for my team...
I discover, he f*ck me...
I don't forget.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

If you are interested, here are the number of replays i made and the total time i played during this contest :
elevator = 178 times...... 28 hours (played 10 times before)
neodrift = 327 times...... 26 hours (never played before)
19xx = 170 times...... 20 hours (played 2 or 3 times before)
kikcubic = 72 times........ 16 hours (never played before)
gyruss = 76 times........ 16 hours (played in 2004 only and a very few games in my childhood)
tophuntr = 43 times....... 12 hours (played 13 times last year for a contest)
wardner = 39 times......... 8 hours (never played before)
charlien = 42 times........ 8 hours (never played before)
arkanoid = 58 times....... 6 hours (played a few times before)
pulstar = 31 times.......... 4 hours (never played before)

So a total of 144 hours (6 days of playing)

I couldn't play for 1 week from saturday till next saturday. And 2 sundays.
But i could play 2 or 3 hours each day.

I wanted to organize to play like we normally do at jvrm but i don't, like always in a challenge of 10 games during 2 months (Example ou tournament marp or jvrm cup).

I wanted to play during 2 weeks at a game and sacrifice 2 games but i was so many motivated that i lost all control and play when i had time to do it ^^

My wife begins to become crazy after the 1st month and was so happy when i told it was finished today ;)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

We were lucky because marp is down just after the end of the challenge :lol: :lol:
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

GHEMANT wrote:My mentality it's the same of japanese. If i find a techinque i keep it for me and i use it to win. If i see someon that tries to look and learn mi secrets, i turn off the game and i get away. It's my knowledge and i'm decided to show it, but i prefer to use thi secret at the right moment. A competition it one of this moments. Anyway therse who play "frindly" like you say, and who spend much time only to find secrets , like i did for 20 years. Personally, because my life is really stressed up, i don't ever play for score by myself, the only occasion is for a tournament or something similar.
Ghemant, come on! I really doubt that's what you think :roll:
If you were so selfish you wouldn't have submitted such great replays, you wouldn't have written those excellent guides, and you wouldn't bother participating in marp in the first place (or you would have left already).

And if my life was stressed up like yours, the last thing I would do is play for tournaments only... I would do the opposite, play for fun and relax. Videogames sometimes can stress you more! (lol - but it's true)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

GHEMANT wrote:My mentality it's the same of japanese. If i find a techinque i keep it for me and i use it to win. If i see someon that tries to look and learn mi secrets, i turn off the game and i get away. It's my knowledge and i'm decided to show it, but i prefer to use thi secret at the right moment.
Wow, there I was thinking that that was the TG mentality. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Hi

First, congrats to Italians players. Even if its hard for us, sniping new technics its a part of a tournament.

Besides, for me, your last technics on Wardner break the general rule of leeching on marp. But you're right, litteraly it's not in the actual specal rule on this game...

But... If you think that technic is like a SECRET, let me laugh, I'm sure jvrm player don't think of this one because of the special rule. Find a leeching spot is neither a secret, neither hard to find, but when a special rule said : don't leech and die before the end of the stage, we don't make it on any stage.

Think of that : Imagine someone make this technic before the tournament, we'd discuss of it and forbid the technic. I'm sure of that. But ok, it's not in the rule, you've play with the actual rules, youre right ;)

Now my feelings for this contest :

- Excellent skill level for all players. Marp Scores had been beated on many games. So congrats everybody :)

- 2 months is too long

- 3 days for making rules is too short

I think the right thing to make is :

- Take time for make good rules, for each games, any inp who break the exact rules is zeroed. If any technics is find during the contest... ok, its accepted, i've never seen a contest in sports where the rules change during the contest.

- Both team have 7 or 15 days for find their best technics, making their best scores. Each captain send all inps for the end of the 7th (or 15th) day. Ok, no sharing, no fair play, but also no copying, no whiniing, no bullshitting.

And everybody will be happy ;)

I agree with one thing with Ghemant and Davil : its not a solo contest, it's a team contest. No, its a country contest ! The first 1 to 1 country contest who have existed for video game (maybe I'm wrong ;) ). And its important, more important than we can think. And the fact is : Italy win !!!

Last thing : I'm editor in french magazine (in Future Publishing company). Some people in FP know of this contest and I''ll try to make little papers for 2 magazines (Joystick and PC Jeux) because I think its important. I just hope my Editors in Chief will accept them ^^
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

post the link to your artichles :wink:
poopyoann
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by poopyoann »

Just my two cents about what ghemant wrote about jvrm.
I was in the first 5 players who made a score in the first jvrm challenge, so I can write about this newsgroup (like francois ;) )
The aim of this site is not to beat scores in fact, it's to give people the will to replay and challenge in many arcade games. We accept all players and weekly challenge is the way we found to vary type of games and to make people find is favorite type of game or discover "hidden" games.
For sure we have great players during these challenges, some came at the beginning and now have disappeared, some are addicted to World of Warcraft, some have a family to take care.
If some aiva members have read jvrm NG, they could have read that finishing game two early and then just fighting to find leeching points was boring (and snipping by the end was... not so surprising), that's why we first class people with the level of game over, then with the points. JVRM members are not used to challenge like this contest, we are now warned. I hope next country challenge will not angry so many people (even in people just watching scores), it's by the way an Xlent idea.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

talking about leeching, it's about time i made my own opinion. all games have leeching, and i'm according with japanese players doing this techniques, because making leeching need the knowledge of the locations where you can practice it and the difficulty increas, for example in games like Toki, where you remain with no lifes left and you must end the game with one only life. In games that suffer of infinite leeching, where points increase winning a life, you loe the life and the operation will be repeated continuosly, everybody is able to do that, everybody is able to realize a counter stop in this way, so the zones where those leeching exist need rules to prohibit it.

If wardner wouldn't have this problem at stages 2 and 4 (stone monster's zone that's worth 3000 pts), nobody would lose any life, because this should be normal to obtain an high score, at game limits, like is normale in metal slug, top hinter, toki, pulstar, ninga commando, blazing star, sonic wings 3 and many other games.

For the tournament, instead, i think it's a good idea to make other tries, and seeing other countries involved. This was the first, historical attempt to involve 2 nations in a challenge on arcades.. Clearly being the first it wasn't impossible to understand the problematics of a initiative of this genre and many thing will be corrected for the next contest.

I would like to sse a contest between USA and Brasil (with many players and less games).
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

How about Brazil vs Poland! It would be interesting to see Moreno vs DES! :lol:
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

NotMan wrote:How about Brazil vs Poland! It would be interesting to see Moreno vs DES! :lol:
Spry but no players from Poland now. Wuzel - no time, asn007 - no tyime (prepare for wedding), DieseL - bought PS2 and forgot about MAME ...
At this time in Poland are up to 2 people who have time: me and qba.
Sory maybe next time.

But it will be interesting meet with players from Brazil, Italy and France in Knockout Tournament :D

PS. 1 April I see Moreno's Cadillacs score was beat.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

There's always the option of USA vs Rest of the World.......USA vs Europe......
MARP vrs 'Other MAME score sites' (rules to be debated).....Ireland vs England...., oh wait, not that, already bored doing that... :)

Off topic, nice to see Tony 'TT' Temple, from the UK, beating the WR on Missile Command by quite a margin.

I've enclosed a pic of TT playing said title last year at CGEUK2005.

C:\Documents and Settings\Alex Weir\My Documents\London pics2\Tony(TT)Temple_playing_MC.jpg

Cheers,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: re...

Post by Weehawk »

AL wrote:There's always the option of USA vs Rest of the World.......USA vs Europe......
MARP vrs 'Other MAME score sites' (rules to be debated).....Ireland vs England...., oh wait, not that, already bored doing that... :)

Off topic, nice to see Tony 'TT' Temple, from the UK, beating the WR on Missile Command by quite a margin.

I've enclosed a pic of TT playing said title last year at CGEUK2005.

C:\Documents and Settings\Alex Weir\My Documents\London pics2\Tony(TT)Temple_playing_MC.jpg

Cheers,

AL
:twisted:
John Cunningham (JTC)
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

D'oh...

John....help me out here.....

AL