Track N Field : using one button for speed

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Do note that only games that store high scores in NVRAM will work that way. Use of hiscore.dat shouldn't be supported (causes issues with Psikyo games), and .hi files aren't used in any way on recording or playback as it is.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

Couple of points, both probably well known but hey...

A quick google turns up a comment that KK had 'loads' of 98k+ scores - obviously well above his 'record' and he reckons his best one-round-only score was 101k. Itseems sensible to assume that as it was arcade, then high scores were present.

This is probably more well known: On javelin, the points awarded for a 99.99m throw are 13500 and the only realistic way toget this is to have at least two proper throws and one bonus. So 14500.

However, a 95m throw will give 12500 points, but is hard to achieve when going for two bonuses - more common is a 93m throw.

Thing is, the bonus is achievable with a much shallower angle than I thought (I now think 64degs is the limit) giving you a good 25-30m throw. If you do this on the first throw, then have a proper throw 95.5m is easy cos of the 4% addition. Then a bonus on the thrid throw gives you around 14500pts for the javelin... which is the same as a 99.99 and one bonus :) The point being that it's unlikely you'll get a 99.99 throw, even with two good throws.

Sorry for being far too sad!!
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

A quicky answer:

Don't believe everything. Especially scores that are not possible with 3 buttons only at arcade.
I don't believe a bit about those 98k scores at arcade machine. 101k ,lol.
A "relioable" source claimed previously that KK had 100m's of 7,3's...but later Darren Harris(I think) got in touch with KK...anmd then it came out that KK's best 100m was 7,44 (that I believe, though it strangely seems to be slightly under my best arcade 100m). You can contact Darren at TG site, and ask Kelly's email. He has gaps in hes 20 year long term T&F memory though, as Darren said.

Later, have to fly now....

Tommi
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Watched dskys's latest trackfld recording, it playsback to advertised score. 7,59 at 100m...with 1200cm/sec speed at 50meter mark! That run looks absolutely perfect up to 60 meters.

I leave confirming to Chad though. Still wanting to see dskys make R Mruczek bounties type video.
Don't take it personally Adrian, I would want to see same for anyone who gets such speeds with joypad! :) :oops:

cheers,

TJT
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

Well I don't take it personally heheh, I know I'd be the same...

Something worries me about latest inp I did but I haven't checked - the bug with cheats always being enabled despite the ini and gui saying not, is that fixed in .89? I guess it must be or you wouldve said Tommi? If not, no matter, I'll do all future inps in .83 which doesn't have that flaw.

Cheers

Adi

edit: with the bounty coming at such an appropriate time, once I can get consistently over 95k I will start to make recordings. Reading an old post from TG someone sent a Crazy Taxi tape with 90mins of gameplay for a sub-one-minute run so that'll be the kinda thing I do. But not yet. I really don't have the facility atm, but I have a long time to sort one out ;)

edit2: Tommi, elsewhere you've said that u use a joystick for High Jump... Why is this? Do you think it's cos you get definate left-right-left-right-left presses? No matter what I do I struggle with 2.49 and 2.50 and I definately don't have a speed problem :P Tips?
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

Adi: Using joystick for High Jump is simply easier than struggling with buttons, IMO. Especially playing by oneself.

And whats all this talk of 99.99m on Javelin? Has this been done by anyone?
Best I've ever gotten was 99.97m. Best angle? If you ask me 42,43,44,45 are all equally good, once you have the speeds. All are able to go over 100m with good speeds. 41 is a no-no.......

Well done on your T+F progress. Watch out Tommi!!

Cheers,

AL

p.s tips for High Jump using buttons: hit the run buttons together....(if memory serves correct).
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Track N Field : using one button for speed

Post by 1up »

Bumping this topic as I have some questions. First here is my best run so far.
100m 9,75s
long jump 9,13m
Javelin 83m
hurdles 11,70s
hammer throw 76,50m
high jump 2m40cm

High score was 72,250

My questions are about hammer throw and High jump.

What do I look for in hammerthrow? Im really inconsistent. I let the hammer go early and look for when the hammer turns red. Must be a better way?

I see people say that you need to press run buttons in high jump? When? At the approach or while jumping?

Thanks
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

1up wrote:I see people say that you need to press run buttons in high jump? When? At the approach or while jumping?
You can get a much higher jump if you mash the daylights out of the run buttons once you're into your jump. We used to team up in the arcade so one person could concentrate on getting the maximum "speed" on the run buttons and the 2nd person could deal with the angle manipulations during the jump. :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

That's nice to know. My record is 2m42cm without mashing run buttons, so I look forward to what I can achieve with this new advice.

Any tips for Hammer Throw?
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

For Hammerthrow you have only to concentrate on the speed squares, and press the button when you're approximatively at the middle of last square, and get an angle of 45° as far as I remember.
Hard to realize, but you have 3 tries. Rhythm needed too (sound helps)
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to try them out.
Agodzilla
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Agodzilla »

Phil Lamat wrote:For Hammerthrow you have only to concentrate on the speed squares, and press the button when you're approximatively at the middle of last square, and get an angle of 45° as far as I remember.
Hard to realize, but you have 3 tries. Rhythm needed too (sound helps)
Not only that,feel free to rhytmically tap those two button while speed is growing,until the bar reach the sixth yellow square.
It gives you the ability to launch the hammer at full power(1500cm/sec)But be careful: the hammer has insane speed and the risk is that you cannot launch it at all!!..
Otherwise if you succeed with it you surely obtain a good throw,good luck^^
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

Hammerthrow tip is awesome. it's almost like no matter what angle i launch with (39-47 degrees) I get above 90m which is a HUGE improvement to my old records which barely qualified. Haven't had time to get into it yet, but I can see my score get into the 80k's now with no hassle 8)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Greetings programs

Visited today technological museum in Helsinki... there was original Track&Field cabinet... with original buttons it looked like. Screen definitely was original... hard to see lower part of the screen properly because of some picture disturbance.

Anyways, just wanted to brag how I did... without playing the game since... can't remember when...

Basically my fingers got tired more than when "in form"... I think couple worthy records to mention:

100m: 9,89 (not bad considering the buttons and my current TF form; my goal was to run under 8 seconds - check!)
Javelin: I threw exactly 100 meters! Damn rare. Too bad that the game didn't save it, since it was displayed as 0,00m...

Other results were really not worth mentioning... Still, I left the game with "TJT" holding most of the records - and million as the first place score. (2nd was 450k).

Oh and one more thing... most of records before I updated them a bit were by someone called "QRS" - surely not our QRS?
If so, you still have best at hammer and High jump... dammit. :)
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

I assume 9,89 = 7,89? Check?

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "