Track N Field : using one button for speed

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

stpats
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Track N Field : using one button for speed

Post by stpats »

I have never been a great Tn'F player, but I recently started posting better scores by using only one button for speed (the RHS one, if it matters). I can finally get above 1200cm/s in long jump and the javelin. That isn't all that great, but is an improvement for me. I was wondering how fast an elite level player can go using only one speed button?

I have also tried this in the sequel, and it seems to work well there except in gymnastics - doing summersaults in the air is MUCH faster using both speed buttons.

One last Tn'F question : What are the optimal angles for each event? I thought it was 45 for long jump and 42 for javelin, but I saw a post elsewhere where it seemed that 42 was also optional for the long jump.

Thanks for any info :)
stpats
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: Track N Field : using one button for speed

Post by stpats »

err... make that "optimal", not "optional" :)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Just to make it clear, you aren't allowed to use the Run Like Hell hack.

Anyway, Tommi is the one who knows his stuff on T&F.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

Tommi isn't the only one who knows his T+F stuff. Hmmphh....

A 42 angle on the Long Jump is what gets you a 9m72 jump. On the line,after a qualifying jump. Sometimes you get stuck with a 9m71,but after a time, you will get 9m72. Oh yeah,you wanna be getting better speeds than 1200cms to do this!

As for the Javelin. 42 is cool , so is 45. It depends. Remember to 'run' whilst javelin is in the air.

As I remember,on certain arcade machines it was possible to get over 100m with any angle over 42....( once speeds were 1350-ish and running in the air)

41 is a no-no.

And, as noted,RLH ( Run Like Hell ) is NOT allowed.

Cheers,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Yep, 42 is best for long jump, 44 is also pretty good...funnily 41 and 43 get much worse results than 44. Long jump max with buttons and fingers is assumably 9,72.

Javelin 42 I would also consider to be optimal. Yet 44 and 45 angles are quite good also. If you want to play safe javelin, go for around 44 angle.

Hammer wants you to get exactly 45 angle for long ones, get even longer doing couple of those in a row.

It doesn't matter whether you use one or 2 buttons at 100m,110m,long jump and javelin-before-throw-speed. Javelin after throw speed and highjump are little different.

I have runned under 7,7s at 100m with one button only and six fingers. Normally I use sixfinger-technique and 2 buttons. Yet, if my rhythm is off, like to practice using one button only. Pushes should be evenly spaced at 100m,110 etc...That's why rhythm is important. You can win faster fingers with better rhythm.
I get around 1350-1450 speed at longjump using one button. Don't let this discourage you, I played the game like a madman in 80's :)
My best ever speed is about 1500 at longjump. You need about 1350 speed to get max 9,72. You do get +50 speed when you time jump straight on the line, so little under 1300(+50) should be enough for max 9,72

This is what 6 finger technique looks like using 2 buttons and wed-midd-fore *2:
zzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzcczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccc
zzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzz
ccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccczzzccc

Hehehe,
Tommi
stpats
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by stpats »

Thanks for the replies :)

For the record, RHS = right hand side which has nothing to do with RLH.

I am no challenger to any records anyway - my best score so far with 1 extra life to start is a piddly 91k, failing to qualify at the second javelin toss with a throw of 84.99m. How close can you be and not get it?!? ;)

I guess my goal now should be to beat Tommi's one round score in two rounds - only 5 or 6k to go! :)
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

It probably means nothing, but if you're not as fast as tommi and al, using one button on TNF does get good speed. I guess it's down to two-button technique but what I mean is, on Hyper Sports, two buttons seem to be faster than one. I get sub 45s swimming regularly but I suck at TNF on two buttons. use 6 fingers on one button and you should be able to get mid 8s 100,.. well that's what i get based off finger speed for above.

To beat tommi's record tho .. well watch the inp and see what you have to do -is frightening.

Not sure about angles and so on, but run like mad on javelin (but be rhythmic) and you'll get long distances. To be honest, the points on offer outside the two sprints are what separates the score. So as per tommi run sub 8 on the 100m and sub 9 on the 110 hurdles? (MAYBE TEN - not got an inp to hand) and you could get above 90k. Never had it like but hey :P

Anything above 90k is VERY good. as Al and tommi will testify. But the sprints are where you make your points!!

Gonna go get some beer :P
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I found using my semi-crappy keyboard I can run faster using 1 button versus 2...but using 3-4 fingers on that 1 button.

I can routinely reach around 1240-1250 but sometimes get in the 1275 range.

To compete with these guys though you need to get 1325 or perhaps even higher.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

Just to resurrect a dead thread, I've been playing this like mad for about a month (no net access :() and I still suck.... I've had 93k once in about 400 games but still struggle past 75k by the start of high jump

I don't have a problem speed wise apart from on the sprints.

I get about 1230cms at the end of 100m metres and do 7.9x with a good start

On 110mh I flicker between 11xx and 13xx finishing on about 1340 and get 9.85, that kinda thing

Whats odd is that on the other speed events (LJ and Jav) I get 1400+ EASILY every time without a perfect take off or throw

So what am I doing wrong??? The only places I can make up points is on the sprints so any tips other than get faster?

There used to be a site that showed scoring for each event but I can't find it - anyone know what resukts give what scores?

Ta
#Find another way to me
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Tommi or someone had posted the rough formulas of what sore vs times/distance is for each event.

if you want to compare yourself to these guys, just watch their mame replays.

93k is great..you don't suck at all. 90+k is a very good score.

92+k is amazing...I think my personal high for the arcade was around 92,400.

so 93k is nothing to snezze at...it's great.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

Yeah, I meant that I suck in comparison.

I guess it's just a consistency thing throughout the 6 disciplines... Thanks for the reply

d
#Find another way to me
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I think DBH posted scoring formula at TG-forums, then we had a long(winded) conversation with "JJT defender"-the man from Austin Park'n' Pizza Amusement, Pflugerville, Texas- about T&F. Strangely I can't find that thread: When I search for "javelin", I get zero threads at TG forum.

Anyways, I'll just throw few figures from my head(most unreliable source of information, hehe):

100m: 1/100 second =30 points
Long jump: 1cm =20 points?
Javelin: 1m= 200 points, yet centimeters give some awkward points, I think if you throw under 92meters...
110m: 1/100s =20 points
Hammer: 1m=200 points
High jump: jumping 1cm more =500 points

93 000 is great.
92K is great.
You don't suck at all!!!
Show us your inp!

I ran 100m 9,74? at my marp best game. 110m was very fast too.
Could have gotten at 100m maybe 300-450 points more, other than that, pretty max(9,72 long jump ;). I Have not gotten under 7,60 at mame + Hotrod controller.
I get maybe 1300 cm/sec endspeed at 100m, at best with mame. Most of the times 12xx cm/sec. Depends on my form.
My alltime fastest is 7,47 at arcade...Also run some 7,50's times at my fastest. Buttons were bit more sensitive though, and maybe, I was just younger and faster. I also used handoil on buttons, yukh.
I need 15-20 minutes warmup before I get Carl Lewis mode on.
I used to go by bus to play T&F, and practised on bus, so I usually got days fastest 100m/110m on couple first tries, or inside first hour anyway. After that fingers get slower.
Assumably Kelly K(arcade record holder) best 100m was 7, 44.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Couple tips on sprints: Try to get a perfect start, starting before you hear gun. You get 0,1 sec faster time if perfect, depending on your reaction speed.

Sometimes your athlete seems to have a much faster start. I'm not 100% why. It might help trying not to run as fast as possible in the beginning of run. Maybe beginning of run is very sensitive about rhythm.

Rhythm is very important. pushes should be evenly spaced timewise.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

It does seem that a slower starting speed allows you to run faster over the full 100m - My best in MAME is 7.92 i think with 9.75 on 110hrd

I read some archived theads that said it was impossible to get 972 in MAME but you've got it so heh - 9.67 there for me.

I lose most points on the sprints (those two times are rare) and typically 2k! on high jump lol. If I don't go for the bonus I'll normally clear 2.50 but I lmost always miss 2.48 on the first attempt - don't know why.

I'll sort an inp out, only got screenies atm cos not been recording, just practicing. Once I get close to you I'll upload one ;)

Thanks for the score info too - after reading the archives I found diths page which has scoring info in detail :)
#Find another way to me
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

The TJT wrote:When I search for "javelin", I get zero threads at TG forum.
yeah, I think the search feature there is broken or just doesn't see all of the forums. I have tried searches there for certain things and never had anything found.
Sometimes your athlete seems to have a much faster start. I'm not 100% why. It might help trying not to run as fast as possible in the beginning of run. Maybe beginning of run is very sensitive about rhythm.
I always thought there was something to this. ie. how you have the first button press then delay for swimming in Hyper Sports...that it seems a single press...then slight delay before you start your "run" results in getting out of the gate a little faster. it's not a huge difference...but at the level you guys are playing...even 0.05 faster helps a lot.
Rhythm is very important. pushes should be evenly spaced timewise.
definitely....even if you aren't that fast but have nice rhythm the speed will continue to increase throughout the run even if you are tapping the same speed the entire race. it does reach a ceiling though so faster tappers yet good rhythm will certainly still be faster. hehe
Anyways, I'll just throw few figures from my head(most unreliable source of information, hehe):
wow...based on that, getting far for javelin and hammer throw are very important. That's 1k lost if you have only a 94m throw versus the 99m one. that's a lot to lose.

man, I can only imagine how many games TJT and others had where through the first several events they were in great shape...to then only get a 94m hammer throw....and they start over knowing they can't top their best. ahhhh!

you must be where you must get very close to or match your personal est at every event.