Track N Field : using one button for speed

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

You should definately make a vid! I'd do one of me hunched over a ps2 controller like a cripple but I have no w\y to record anything :(

Getting very quick now tho......
Attachments
7.57 100m - 18290pts
7.57 100m - 18290pts
trac0003.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 10411 times
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

dskys wrote:You should definately make a vid! I'd do one of me hunched over a ps2 controller like a cripple but I have no w\y to record anything :(

Getting very quick now tho......
7,57....eh, with a playstation controller 8O
What was the endspeed?

Now, I really want to see a video about this...showing your fingers and screen when you do it. Surely you know somebody who has digital camera that can take videos.
I'll ask a friend later, when I feel my speed is at max, and he has time, to take couple of videos with a digital camera. I'm somewhat proud about my speed...So I wanna have videos taken at my fastest.
It takes months to master sixfinger technique, and you have to have very fast fingers. I'm sure 90% of people are not able to run under 7,60 even with lots of practice. There were only 2 of us being able to do that at arcade I played. (So I might feel a bit betrayed if I was beaten by a different controller, as happened at Marble.)

I played quite a lot yesterday. Since 6f is very tiresome for fingers, not sure if I can play at my fastest for couple days. Noticed that left button is a bit broken. Luckily hotrod has more buttons. I felt little off peak already when I changed buttons, and my fastest 100m was 7,70, with endspeed of 1316!
I also noticed, that if I run at fastest, it's possible that hotrod buttons don't have time to bounce back up between hits. That is why very sensitive leaf-switch buttons, with small closed circuit "gap" are better.

TJT
7,47 arcade
7,60 mame
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

I will see what I can do in the new year.. There's a couple of people at work with video phones that should be able to do the trick...

I do agree about being 'bettered' by a non-conforming controller but it's all I have. I haven't played a real cab in a long time and doubt i'd be much faster than 7.9 really..I don't recall what I used to get in the arcades but I know it wasn't as fast as my MAME times.

The endspeed wasn't THAT high, maybe 1280?

Inp attached with 7.59s 100m - I think the endspeed was 1260, maybe less. If I'm wrong then sorry hehe..

On both games I messed up long jump big-style so no big points.
Attachments
759_trackfld.zip
(5.03 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
#Find another way to me
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

dskys wrote:I will see what I can do in the new year.. There's a couple of people at work with video phones that should be able to do the trick...
Good, I hope video quality is enough at those...toys ;)
Inp attached with 7.59s 100m - I think the endspeed was 1260, maybe less. If I'm wrong then sorry hehe..
So 2 times under 7,6...in one day. 8O
Consistency, word of the day.

I think endspeed was only 1259...yet you did get very fast to 1220 range.
That makes me wonder why h*ll I don't get similar times with better endspeed...I start running too fast? If I can get the meter higher, times should also be faster. Any ideas?
On both games I messed up long jump big-style so no big points.
Big time! 8O :)
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

I would say inconsistent is the word of the day cos I've played lots of games today and times ranged from 8.15 and down.

As I said above,sometimes there is a block which you have to alter your running spped to get past. In that inp there didn't seem to be one so I was up to 12xx quickly. I think, like you almost pointed out, that that is the key.

Endspeed doesn't seem important once you get past 1250 - it just depends how soon you got there and from what I get when I'm playing the way to do it quickly is start off slower and work the speed up gradually.

Typically when I get a fast run I seem to be at 12xx by 60m at the latest, giving me 40m of good speed to get a fast time. Also the start on the fast runs feels like I get away with starting WELL before the gun, well a tenth of a second but you know what I mean.

Also, I don't know if this is this macine or actually in the inp - on fast games theres a funny noise ON TOP OF the one player jingle that plays when I select a game (ie, i press 5 for a credit then as I press 1 there's the noise).. maybe occasionally the machine lets you have a fast game? But how would it know cos I reset it every time in theory... so I guess that's bollocks hehe. But then again, on a fast game I tend to be fast throughout after a good 100m so I don't know. The game seems easier every now and then to get good speeds but maybe that's just varying technique from game to game...

I guess the first 50 or so metres is the key - good solid speed build up leads to good times almost regardless of what happens in the latter half.

One more little thing, it seems that 43degs is the best angle on javelin - I thought it was 42 :/
#Find another way to me
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

One comment:
I get those stops at speed also, but I allways thought they are because of lack of rhythm...not that program says you must slowdown at 112x etc, which would be strange...
I agree about getting 12xx's quickly +fast start is the key. (I still am not able to get great start, even if its fast, each time...must be same for you cause of times over 8,) Yet, I never gotten a bad time when endspeed was 1300, maybe because getting there I'll have to run first part of the race good too...plus it's quite interesting to keep record of endspeed, I kinda think of it as a meter to show what my fastest speed can be...
Unfortunately don't remember from golden days how fast was it. But at longjump I got 1500 speed...yesterday was at 1450 range at best.

That was couple comments...happy gaming...keep us informed about score progress :)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Fuc...foul

Post by The TJT »

Playing a bit, despite the fact that my fingers feel weary. Not recording, because like to have nvram and compete against my "records".

Never got 2 times in a row 9,72...BUT THIS WAS CLOSE! :P
Attachments
foul, dammit!
foul, dammit!
atla0000.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 10356 times
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

hehe..yeah, I always hated those that seem like a nailed line..yet when you come down into the pit the footprint seems to move forward some and declared a foul!
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

It happens sp often it makes you paranoid about going for the line.. well it does me heheh,...

See your playin atlant tommi.. you're welcome to first place... it's so bad!!! you can't hear the speech and high jump it's hard to see the bar (and counting 9 feet doesn't work on high heights hehe
#Find another way to me
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Getting close my fast speed now. Actually speed is not a problem, but getting a good start at 100m and not jamming early run(rhythm). Still not clear why sometimes start is so much faster, but usually athlete virtually stalls in the beginning.

Got today 1447 speed at javelin, at 42 angle on the line...and result was 95 something, bleh. :?

Anyway here's one more interesting pic. Got 7,72 at 100m...longjump got 2 times 9,36, so tried to get third one, and succeeded. But since I wasn't using nvram, didn't get the 1000 points bonus. because of the congrats screen.
Tried to playback with nv, but wolf89 doesn't let me. It requires inp to be recorded with -allownvram, if you want to playback it using same option.
So wolfie kinda forces same option to be used at playback, which was used when recording...can not override.
(hmm do we need a vote for allowing -record trackfld -allownv...errr, I will not start the conversation, umh...)
Attachments
No 1000 bonus.
No 1000 bonus.
atla0006.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

LOL I don't think a vote will result in NV being allowed ;)

I'm 99% sure that 43 is best angle on javelin, but maybe it's easier to get 99.99 with 42?
#Find another way to me
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:Tried to playback with nv, but wolf89 doesn't let me. It requires inp to be recorded with -allownvram, if you want to playback it using same option.
So wolfie kinda forces same option to be used at playback, which was used when recording...can not override.
Maybe it's just me, but it would seem obvious that you'd need NVRAM to playback an inp that was recorded with NVRAM... This is the major reason for NVRAM not being allowed in the first place. -allownvram was only ever added for those games that can't be started with an invalid NVRAM.

Only -sound and -m68k_core options are forced currently (a few more in the next version, plus override option, except for -m68k_core - no point there)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote: Maybe it's just me, but it would seem obvious that you'd need NVRAM to playback an inp that was recorded with NVRAM... This is the major reason for NVRAM not being allowed in the first place. -allownvram was only ever added for those games that can't be started with an invalid NVRAM.
Yes, yet it seems trackfld doesn't suffer from nvram-unplaybackability-syndrome.
Same inps playback fine with or without nv.
Only -sound and -m68k_core options are forced currently (a few more in the next version, plus override option, except for -m68k_core - no point there)
Yet I can not get nv(records) to show at playback, if I recorded without nv in the first place...strange. If I record WITH nv I can use any nv at playback, or playback without(but without looks messy...pic).

I'm mainly interested in this, because I want to compete against my records. Noticed this when I tried to post here a pic of the rare longjump bonus.
Attachments
Recorded with nvram, playbacked without. Playbacks fine, but garbled records.
Recorded with nvram, playbacked without. Playbacks fine, but garbled records.
atla0008.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

if it's worth anything, i tried several inps during the discussion about whether to allow nvrams or not and i made my decision on the fact that you can't get a recording made with an nvram to work with out one. Simply because if you made a recording with an nvram that had the extra super cool bonuses, you might still be able to upload into marp if it playedback with out one but just with out the bonuses. All my attempts at doing this didn't work... if you think about this this is pretty obvious since if the game does a different graphic when doing the bonuses (gohpers and world record cut scene's and what not), it's undoubtably wasting frames that if you tried to playback the same inp movements with out the nvram it would be off synch...
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Barry...but there are so many games where you could make some inps..then later playback the inp..and then save to nvram...so you build a high score table for your own gameplay.

My plans are for nvram to be quite a bit fancier in management versus what it currently is.

ie. if you record using nvram...that state is stored in the inp...for automatic use on playback if you wish.

another option for the user on playback will be to ignore that nvram and use the one in the nvram folder.

..or choose to not use any.

It allows for all combinations and wishes of the gamer in building high score tables for some games via the nvram.

a warning would definitely be issued though that recording and playback might be affected by use of nvram.