How to Handle Cheaters at MARP?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

What do you think is the most appropriate way to deal with players at MARP caught cheating?

Ban the player and delete all the player's recordings.
61%
Delete only the illegal recordings and allow the player to continue to participate at MARP.
39%

Total votes: 36

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Buttermaker wrote:You lack common sense.
Not at all. I think the way #1 is stated even with the first post as I said it's clear not all aspects that John is considering and implies with it aren't stated. How can you understand what's not even stated? Would it have been so difficult to at least include the word "deliberately" in the poll question? Hmm, that would have helped it a lot. I think "repeatedly caught at deliberately cheating" would have been even better. These don't make the question that much longer. If that phrase was in the question I would have definitely voted for the first choice.

Sure, it's still only for opinion. However, you see my real opinion on this from a couple of my posts in this read. My vote for the poll doesn't properly express my opinion at all...whether I voted for #1 or #2.

Given 3-4 others expressed similar I don't think it's just me. Something like this isn't such a black-n-white issue.

I think for action as drastic as banning someone and removing their scores it would require a vote of the editors with at least 75% agreeing or perhaps for something as drastic as banishment 100% of the active editors must agree for that action.
The problem here isn't reading. It's understanding.
The problem is not wanting to assume exactly what the question is asking. It was not possible for me to express my opinion voting either way. I think many others are similar so the poll results don't really accomplish much except perhaps get the editors to discuss the issue and perhaps revise it with some compromise.

I think what I mentioned above of forcing certain players that have been proved to cheat to use wolfmame or alphamame as a first action is common sense. Hmm, your post mentioned nothing along these lines also.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

LN wrote:If that phrase was in the question I would have definitely voted for the first choice.
8O Even though it was made clear in the post which you claim you read prior to voting? You're getting ridiculous now.

It's time to pull your argument off to the side of the road and pop the hood, Rick. It's broken down.
LN2 wrote:My vote for the poll doesn't properly express my opinion at all...whether I voted for #1 or #2.
There's still a subtle concept you're not getting here. I wanted to know, philosophically, which option most closely matched what you felt was the most appropriate reaction, understanding full well that something in between (or more extreme even) might really be what you think the actual policy should be.
LN2 wrote:Given 3-4 others expressed similar I don't think it's just me
Others expressed that they felt something in between the two extremes might be best, but I think you're the only one who made the mistake of thinking that accidental or unknowing rule infraction was what was being discussed.
LN2 wrote:Something like this isn't such a black-n-white issue.
Well, now you state the obvious.
I think many others are similar
Rick, for better or worse, I don't think anyone is similar to you. :)
LN2 wrote:so the poll results don't really accomplish much
It's a timeless philosophical question (I set no time limit). It has let the community know how some of us feel about this issue. Beyond that, it wasn't meant to "accomplish" anything.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

LN2 wrote:I read your post prior to voting
Well, I believe you looked at it. But if you really read it you wouldn't have been surprised later to find that we were talking about "deliberate cheating". I chose my words carefully. It's not my fault if some people don't read carefully.[/quote]

It's called interpretation, you may wanna consult that one in the dictionary before you start throwing remarks like that about. And don't reply either, this thread already has become cluttered enough with this "discussion" as it is. [Which should never have been a poll to begin with, but a discussion/debate]

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I'm tired of this BS. I gave my opinion initially then wanted to stay out of this thread but others seem to not understand from my opinion why I voted for #2.

Fine...don't understand it then. My opinion is expressed in posts. It isn't expressed by my vote for this poll.

Given this was to just get opinions on the subject perhaps it would have been best to have no poll here(at least with only 2 choices) then afterward give a summary of the opinions given.

That would have been far more productive than what the results of this poll mean. if the poll had 1-2 middle ground choices then the poll results would have more clearly expressed the opinions of everyone.

I think at least some voting for the first choice purely do want anyone caught cheating, regardless of the circumstances, to be banned.

Others that perhaps voted for that first choice are similar to me...which is what my similar above was relating to....that feel some kind of middle-ground with warnings and suspension of a membership for a month or so should occur before total banishment and total score removal for that player is done or even considered.

I take stuff like intentional and deliberate cheating as seriously as many of you guys do, but I'm not out on an inquisition with my flaming torches to get them banished which seems to be what a few here are trying to do.

In the context of that other recent preload thread it seems a few of you are all set to banish preload from MARP. I haven't even begun to see enough concrete evidence to warrant such a harsh action.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:It's called interpretation
Ah, then you agree with Buttermaker:
Buttermaker wrote:The problem here isn't reading. It's understanding.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:you may wanna consult that one in the dictionary before you start throwing remarks like that about. And don't reply either, this thread already has become cluttered enough with this "discussion" as it is. [Which should never have been a poll to begin with, but a discussion/debate]
The only appropriate response to this bilge cant be given in a moderated forum anyway. You may find it posted to alt.games.mame with the heading: "Attn: Kelly R. Flewin"
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I voted for 2.
Editors have to estimate or inp is good whether bad. Players can look at additionally inps and write about problems with them on forum what it facilitates work editors.
Here was not should estimate or player is good whether bad. Maybe you Weehawk by mistake send hundred good inps and one bad inp, and what then? You will have to leave MARP?
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:[Which should never have been a poll to begin with, but a discussion/debate]
Hahaha, this is too much. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin telling somebody what should be a poll and what should be a discussion. Fucking hilarious.
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

What happens if someone accidently records an inp that plays back at 87% speed? Will they be banned for life under option one?
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

zlk wrote:What happens if someone accidently records an inp that plays back at 87% speed? Will they be banned for life under option one?
no
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

destructor wrote:I voted for 2.
Editors have to estimate or inp is good whether bad. Players can look at additionally inps and write about problems with them on forum what it facilitates work editors.
Here was not should estimate or player is good whether bad. Maybe you Weehawk by mistake send hundred good inps and one bad inp, and what then? You will have to leave MARP?
Seems you haven't see all editors saids 'intentionnaly cheaters'. If you have ' cheated ' because you don't see the new special rule or your inp playback at 89% is another case. And I guess before ban one player, it will be a topic for the 'guilty' defence himself. Maybe he's a new marper who don't see autofire is not allowed, etc.

I voted 1, but giving a chance before banning will be cool.

Francois
gamerya
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by gamerya »

I voted for #2, NOT because i cheat, but because QRS admitted it himself... it is possible to make a mistake and miscalculate, or assume the wrong thing. So #1 is abit harsh in that aspect...I don't quite like #2...but it's the only one that is reasonable in this poll.

I still stick with the people that say yes to a warning system though.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

If you do not want to add a reply to your post leave the fields blank.
No Comment except,
JTC-------------------LN2
You both are intelligent and express yourselves well with words.