How to Handle Cheaters at MARP?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

What do you think is the most appropriate way to deal with players at MARP caught cheating?

Ban the player and delete all the player's recordings.
61%
Delete only the illegal recordings and allow the player to continue to participate at MARP.
39%

Total votes: 36

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

To me, option 1 seems rather harsh, and should really only be used in extreme cases, such as those who blatantly cheat, and show total disregard for doing anything about it.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

mahlemiut wrote:To me, option 1 seems rather harsh, and should really only be used in extreme cases, such as those who blatantly cheat, and show total disregard for doing anything about it.
I completely agree and that's why I am not going to vote on this topic, until it can have another option added. Cheater found? 1 warning. Cheat again? 2nd warning [or ban, depending on factors like language barriers, obvious understanding and blatant disregard.. etc] And if it gets to that point... 1 more time? YER OUTTA THERE!! No excuses

But the point was, they could just come back and make a new acct and harass us over and over.. which isn't good... but closing Marp to newcomers isn't good either. [though it'd work with bad side effects, ie. no fresh blood/competition and us being dubbed elitest, even with the realization it was due to a few bad apples ruining the batch.]

Catch-22, so 23 Skidoo... [vroooooooooom]

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

wuzel wrote:have u seen the film from Counter strike tournament where a security throwing outside a "cheater" guy with all his stuff (whole pc)??? thats the spirit :) :)
it
was
staged/fixed/fake
- Smraedis
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

god, what the hell has the preload thing done to some people?

You know, I find it really unfortunate that people would have to cheat. In a perfect world everyone would be honest about their scores. But sometimes these thigns happen... often a recording done with autofire or slow speed is recorded by someone who's ignorant of the rules in place forbidding these things. Usually they understand the error of their ways. As far as I know, there's been no instance of anyone going all-out to flood MARP with as many fradulent recordings as possible.

Even if a user were to be "banned" or deleted, what's to keep them from coming back and uploading all those recordings again? Nothing. I'm not sure if anyone can be blocked entirely from ever viewing the site again. But that's an extreme situation. The preload situation is NOT that extreme. Yes, he has made mistakes, but cut new people a little slack. As of yet there is no way of being sure that he is doing this maliciously, so why act even harsher and ban him? He hasn't had much of a chance, and already his name has been tainted for some people who believe that every recording of his from now on will be cheating in some way. Losing that respect is already a form of punishment.

I swear, it's like the freakin' Salem witch trials around here now.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

yes BBH , but didn't Preload answer ( on this thread ) his critics , and his reasons why he didn't cheat . And were not all of his responses proved to be full of shit ?..i.e lying , therefore a cheating cunt , as proved by Barry + Chad .

The only slack I'd give him would be in the minus category , whilst the noose slowly , but surely , wraps around his neck .

Harsh eh ?

Cheers ,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:god, what the hell has the preload thing done to some people?
The preload situation was merely the most recent one to raise these issues so dramatically. The question at hand has nothing specifically to do with preload. I was careful about that.
BBH wrote:As far as I know, there's been no instance of anyone going all-out to flood MARP with as many fradulent recordings as possible.
Are you saying that's what it would take for you to feel that someone should be banned from MARP?
BBH wrote:Even if a user were to be "banned" or deleted, what's to keep them from coming back and uploading all those recordings again? Nothing.
Weehawk wrote:Perhaps nothing.

But that player might understand at that point that further cheating would not be tolerated, and other would-be cheaters might get the same message.
BBH wrote:...believe that every recording of his from now on will be cheating in some way. Losing that respect is already a form of punishment.
Funny, I see that predicament as punishing honest players forced to compete against scores they have reason to suspect, because they were submitted by someone known to have cheated on other games. That a cheater's credibilty has been tarnished does not concern me in the slightest. It's as it should be.
BBH wrote:I swear, it's like the freakin' Salem witch trials around here now.
Because some of us are concerned that MARP is not doing enough to discourage cheating?

Please.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

For me, #1 is too severe ; so I vote #2 but the intermediate idea of the 3 warnings is not so bad
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Two/one warnings before ban, case by case. Delete all recordings. Ban for 2-5 months. Then violator can join again, submit non-cheated records.

Option 2 is like saying: You can cheat if you don't get caught. Just submit untill cheated recording passes or nobody bothers about it.

Thanks,

Tommi
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah #2 does seem to say cheat until you don't get caught, but that's what's always happened. A lot of cheaters WONT get caught because we still allow unsecure mame recordings, we can't catch all the cheaters and just because we catch cheaters it doesn't mean they are the ONLY cheaters out there. There's something to forgiveness too; i voted for #2 because if you catch someone and still let them upload it would mean they "STOPED" cheating at least for one way, and that's a good thing! yes, they could be finding other ways to cheat, but they know that cheating can be "found out" and perhaps they might have less of a chance of doing so.
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I voted for #2 simply because #1 is too harsh. If there was a middle ground selection for this poll like a few warnings with repeated offenses leading to a 2-3 month ban then repeated offenses after that potentially permanent banishment....then I would have voted for that.

#1 easily reads like if you are determined to be cheating at a game, that's it...bye bye. That's too harsh so I didn't vote for it.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

tar wrote:let the sunset on this one.

http://washingtondcmetroweb.com/Sunset_sub4.htm
Damn, that's fucking beautiful, what it has to do with this? 8O

I would think if you vote for 1. there are still options for the banning length.!?!!
If you vote for 2. your a wus! :oops:

Words of wisdom, eh eh.
TJT, drunk as usual. This must be a sign of hardcore player, looking this board after few tappers.

Milla hei sun täytyy muuttuu, sun elämältä suunta puuttuu.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

Tommi , lay off the gargle . You will regret your post in the mornimg .
Trust me , I know...

Cheers ,

AL

p.s f***ing Swiss c***s......
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I want my "edit" button! :lol:
mahlemiut
Editor