WCC3 week 6 : QUANTUM

Week Challenge Championship board

Moderator: NotMan

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:What? What analyze? I look his inp (not one time) and play his method. Very good method
His game strategy isn't the issue.

Take for example, negative1's recording for arcadecl-sc. Once he gives up the blob around 300k (which he never should have used for this version of the game), this is a classic display of straight-up Centipede play. Really classic. He knows what he is doing.

And I don't believe for a second that it was recorded anywhere near regulation speed.

The movement is just too darty and jerky. It doesn't look natural. It looks like a film played at fast forward. Maybe someone could really play in a manner that looks like that, but I'd bet my life against it in this case.

This is the value of Wolfmame and Alphamame.

Thank you, Barry.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

LordGaz wrote: Yup, the scrolling platform game concept marked the end of the Golden Era.
Nah...I always drew the line at when most new arcade games were quarter/token eaters where even a decent skilled player's game will only last 5-15 minutes on 1 credit....also games where you play each other....loser having to put in another credit to keep playing....or games after the first 4-5 stages/levels it gets so tough it's sure to have most chunking in credit after credit to just get through the next level or 2.

There were still some good games out after 1984 that I sort of put with the golden era classics.

...like Gladiator. Gladiator is clearly not "golden era" but it was still a great game anyway cuz it had great playability and as you got more and more skilled and learned the game you could progress further and further on 1 credit.

it didn't have that concept so many games by 1986 had where after 5-10 minutes the game says screw you...and throws such a high difficulty at you almost no one could survive it...unless you chunk in another credit...or games that just plain end after only 5-15 minutes of play.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I really can't stand playing games for any great length of time anymore. Back in day, when I was young and stupid, I had no problems playing Bubble Bobble for 2 and half hours. 12 years later, I just can't stand long periods of playing games, unless I really like the game. The only games that generally keep my interest for that long at a time are usually RPGs these days (such as Final Fantasy 6,7,8 - screw Square for not producing PC versions of 9 and 10, and of course FEDA played through ZSNES - old #marpers will know what I'm on about).

As far as arcade games go, the longest I've played in recent years is Battle Circuit - about 40 minutes for a completed game.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

LN2 wrote:.

it didn't have that concept so many games by 1986 had where after 5-10 minutes the game says screw you...and throws such a high difficulty at you almost no one could survive it...unless you chunk in another credit...or games that just plain end after only 5-15 minutes of play.
I don't agreed. My favorite era is 86-89, just before the coming of fighting games. The playability of games in this era is great too. For prove it, I finished over 50 arcade games in 1 credit between this period (many platform games and some shmups) and the middle time for finish on 1 credit is 45mn - 1h. It's after 90 year than difficulty become very hard, except for rare games.

Francois
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

kung fu master :) yeah baby :)
ms pacman - hard but its an all time classic - respect!!!!!
but this????
there is really sth with the controls which 4 me is not acceptable :(
sorry guys 4 my opinions - phil has a good selection of games but this one just dont much my cryteria :(

no points 4 me at this round
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Francois Daniel wrote:The playability of games in this era is great too. For prove it, I finished over 50 arcade games in 1 credit between this period (many platform games and some shmups) and the middle time for finish on 1 credit is 45mn - 1h.
Well sure there are always exceptions. I said there were some good games in 86 also. Gladiator was the only one that quickly popped in my mind though cuz I played that a lot. hehe

Also, the state of arcades was maybe different in your area of the world versus in the USA in 86-89.

By 86-87 half were big quarter eater games here in the USA with very few platform type games. You mentioned Japanese platform games...well I never saw any of those here in the USA arcades in 86-89...those that were still around in 86-89. By even 1986, likely at least half of the arcades we had in 1982-1984 were history. Most arcades by then were only found in big shopping malls or at resort type areas.

Token wars of buying 30, 40, even 50+ tokens for $5 were long history. Games if run by tokens were strictly 4 tokens for $1 or 25 tokens for $5.
Last edited by LN2 on Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

cant upload via "SUBMIT" section :( 2 drunk 2 try :(

my inp and description

WCC3 :) Stage 15
i wish i hadent been drunk :) crappy game my inp is just 2 showing myself :)
no points this round - shame but this game is really unplayable 4 me
good luck guys
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote:By 86-87 half were big quarter eater games here in the USA with very few platform type games. You mentioned Japanese platform games...well I never saw any of those here in the USA arcades in 86-89...those that were still around in 86-89. By even 1986, likely at least half of the arcades we had in 1982-1984 were history. Most arcades by then were only found in big shopping malls or at resort type areas.
Token wars of buying 30, 40, even 50+ tokens for $5 were long history. Games if run by tokens were strictly 4 tokens for $1 or 25 tokens for $5.
Wow ! Wonder Boy, Rygar, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Xain'D Sleen A, Contra, Karnov, Rolling Thunder, Rastan Saga, Black Dragon, Willow, Strider, Shinobi, Haunted Castle, New Zealand Story, Tonma, Ninja Spirit...

Don't tell me that's any of these great japanese platform game don't be released in USA between 86-89 !

If it's true... it's... meaningless !

Francois
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Francois Daniel wrote:Wonder Boy, Rygar, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Xain'D Sleen A, Contra, Karnov, Rolling Thunder, Rastan Saga, Black Dragon, Willow, Strider, Shinobi, Haunted Castle, New Zealand Story, Tonma, Ninja Spirit...
...Pac-Land, Green Beret and the grand daddy of them all Super Mario Bros!
LN2 wrote:I always drew the line at when most new arcade games were quarter/token eaters where even a decent skilled player's game will only last 5-15 minutes on 1 credit....also games where you play each other....loser having to put in another credit to keep playing
Marble Madness was one of the first of those and what completely baffled me was that it was that it was set at 20p for a three minute blast as opposed to 10p. Needless to say, it was a game I played very sparingly!
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

LordGaz wrote:...Pac-Land, Green Beret and the grand daddy of them all Super Mario Bros!
Pacland is from 1984, Green beret and smb (arcade) is from 1985 so they are pre 86 games :)

Not that is matter though. There are great games and crappy games from every era in my opinion. As long as the game is fun I don´t care if it is made in 1978 or 2003.
QRS
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Francois Daniel wrote:Wow ! Wonder Boy, Rygar, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Xain'D Sleen A, Contra, Karnov, Rolling Thunder, Rastan Saga, Black Dragon, Willow, Strider, Shinobi, Haunted Castle, New Zealand Story, Tonma, Ninja Spirit...
Ok, let's break this down. I had never seen or even heard of Wonder Boy until I saw it in MAME this past summer.

Rygar was quite popular here in the USA. 1986. I called that a quarter eater though. Perhaps the game settings here in the USA were harder than in other countries.

Ghouls-n-Ghosts (1988)... never saw one although they had a USA release. Ghosts and Goblins (1985) was far more popular.

Xain'D Sleen.....don't remember ever playing this until in MAME this past year...but part of it seemed vaguely familiar so maybe I saw it once.

Contra....yes, Contra was extremely popular... 1987...so I'll give you that one.

Karnov was decent also...but really tough and somewhat of a quarter eater here in the USA. In general USA game settings and/or rom sets are more difficult than the "world" or "japan" rom set.

You can say this about tons of the golden era games as well...the Japan rom set or game settings were easier than USA rom set/settings.

Never heard of Rolling Thunder.

Rastan...yes, was quite popular....so I'll give you that one too.

The next 3 listed I have never heard of or seen.

Shinobi was pretty popular. That's 1987 so I give that one to you also. :P

The last 3....never saw until in MAME this past year.

I know Haunted Castle is essentially an arcade version of Castlevania but wasn't aware of this until just this past year.

Ok, so you thought of a few others...a couple of them I would have thought of if I had thought about it some. I had thought of Contra for sure but was thinking that was pre-86 so I was just off on the year there.

About half of your list I have never seen though...

I am definitely not the best source for this cuz in 86-89 there were really only 2-3 arcades I regularly went to...so unless I saw the games in one of those few, I didn't even know it existed. I figure though the more popular ones would have been in at least 1 of the few arcades I played at during that time.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Page and rankings updated
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LordGaz wrote:
Francois Daniel wrote:Wonder Boy, Rygar, Ghouls'n Ghosts, Xain'D Sleen A, Contra, Karnov, Rolling Thunder, Rastan Saga, Black Dragon, Willow, Strider, Shinobi, Haunted Castle, New Zealand Story, Tonma, Ninja Spirit...
...Pac-Land, Green Beret and the grand daddy of them all Super Mario Bros!
Sure :) And many others...

Francois
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote: Ok, let's break this down. I had never seen or even heard of Wonder Boy until I saw it in MAME this past summer..
It's the first mascot of Sega (with Alex Kidd)
LN2 wrote: Rygar was quite popular here in the USA. 1986. I called that a quarter eater though. Perhaps the game settings here in the USA were harder than in other countries...
Mame setting is ' easy ' for US and Japan version. It's this setting I always seen except once when the owner of the arcade rise up the difficulty two years after. Even on ' normal ' Rygar is playable. But, I agree with you on one thing : it need time for finish it (one month for me and my friends with 3 credits by day)
LN2 wrote: Ghouls-n-Ghosts (1988)... never saw one although they had a USA release. Ghosts and Goblins (1985) was far more popular.
Yes, I see only two in Paris (for over 20 Ghosts'n Goblins). And now I've my own pcb :)
LN2 wrote: Xain'D Sleen.....don't remember ever playing this until in MAME this past year...but part of it seemed vaguely familiar so maybe I saw it once.
We had 10 of them in Paris.
LN2 wrote: Contra....yes, Contra was extremely popular... 1987...so I'll give you that one.
Thanxx ^^
LN2 wrote: Karnov was decent also...but really tough and somewhat of a quarter eater here in the USA. In general USA game settings and/or rom sets are more difficult than the "world" or "japan" rom set.
Strange, I find this one very easy with a record of 999 999 (not play it on mame yet). Often in Paris, the settings are rised above normal. Maybe its the same thing where you played (and in US it's one quarter one credit, in France its quite 1$ for 1 or (rarely) 2 credits)...
LN2 wrote: You can say this about tons of the golden era games as well...the Japan rom set or game settings were easier than USA rom set/settings.
Hmm. I don't know. On Mame, it's often on Normal difficulty. But, they're not always on factory setting (I want 3 lives for each game on 3 Wonders !).
LN2 wrote: Never heard of Rolling Thunder.
What ? It's Atari who build the Arcade (pcb by Namco). You can play it on Mame and it's a very cool game.
LN2 wrote: Rastan...yes, was quite popular....so I'll give you that one too.
And we haven't lot of it in France, only 1 in Paris
LN2 wrote: The next 3 listed I have never heard of or seen.
The 3 are on mame and were 3 very good game (Black Dragon it's original japanese name for Black Tiger)
LN2 wrote: Shinobi was pretty popular. That's 1987 so I give that one to you also. :P
3 :) And we haven't many release of this one in France (but it's very popular on Master System)
LN2 wrote: The last 3....never saw until in MAME this past year.
3 very good game :)
LN2 wrote: I know Haunted Castle is essentially an arcade version of Castlevania but wasn't aware of this until just this past year.
Stangely I known Hauted Castle before Castlevania :)
LN2 wrote: About half of your list I have never seen though...
And only 3 you have seen in Arcades... Maybe you haven't in the good place/town. Or maybe you haven't make caution and don't see them. All the game I've listed were released in Paris and it's why I'm surprised you don't know/see many of them.

It's true 86-89 it's my favorite era, but I play good games in others era too :) Pitfall 2 is released in 84 and it's one of the best platform game I ever played.

Francois
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Years 1985-90 some fine games:
Camel Try-89
Klax-89
Apb-87
Shinobi-87
Blasteroids -87
Pacmania -87
720 -86
Outrun -86
Gauntlet2 -86
Gauntlet 85
indiana Jones -85
Hang On -85(hah! never realised this is before outrun)

So have some good ones that era. Maybe other fine ATARI games too. After 90 -allmost nothing good for me:( Puzzle de pon is ok :) Starwarses allways cool. Many SHMUPS fun, like varth, raiden etc..but nothing original really.

1984: Very good VINTAGE -many games beginning to have quite fancy graphics Marble, Paperboy, ROI, Peterpackrat then many other good games...hypersports, karate champ...list goes on and on -too many to list
1979-83:
Asteroids79 -Pacman - Starwars83 ...so many great ones, too much to list
Something very magical in those early games...defender, tron, joust...allmost all vector games sooo damn sweet!

So looks like my golden era was between 79-89
To cut line before 84 is too much! There are some you could call classics there!

Then again, golden era should reach year 2084, and surely you know why!

Tommi