Atari System II playback

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Atari System II playback

Post by DRN »

I cannot playback a recording of APB that I have made. It plays for about 30secs and then crashes out. I also find I have trouble playing back most system II games (Paperboy, 720 etc).
Does anyone know what is the best way to go around getting these games to record and playback correctly? Thanks.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Try recording and playing back at frameskip 0 (-frameskip 0 in DOS, -noautoframeskip in Win32). Failing that, try it without sound enabled (-soundcard 0 in DOS, -nosound in Win32/Unix).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

thanks barry for answering these questions (my absence is uncontrollable since my new computer keeps crashing) also DRN don't forget the ever present nvram issue, to avoid this delete the nvram directory before recording and playbacking will be a bit safer. I have been able to playback apb recordings in the past, since i remeber confirming the ones that are confirmed now, but i can't play them back at the moment with out a working computer. This doesn't mean this game could have the dreaded record once playback once, never playback again dillemna, if so because of which i think the recordings should be deleted.

this topic needs a FAQ i think. i'll start one.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Chad wrote:(my absence is uncontrollable since my new computer keeps crashing)
Windows will do that for you. :lol:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

mahlemiut wrote:
Well, Windows 9x will do that for you :P

2000 (and even XP) are pretty decent for stability.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

mahlemiut wrote:
don't i know it! Windows eXtra crapPy PROFESSIONAL CRASHED and trashed my fat32 partitions, so don't give microsoft any praise, I'm about to kick in bill's skull and my monitor when i'm installing XP for the THIRD TIME and the install screen boastfully says "windows XP professional is now more stable and reliable!" fuck you gates. At least in XP when you get a BSOD it doesn't blame the user for not shuting down properly like 98 does :)
(even though 99% of the time the user did shut down properly it was windows that craped up)

I luckily had a linux partition, and it's rock solid bootable and still stable inbetween the corrupted fat32 and ntfs partitions i "used" to have. on second thought i won't be installing a ext2fs reader on windows for the very reason if this happens again windows would probably trash the ext2fs too. unfortunately my mame58 roms were on the fat32 partition, i think i have a backup of all mame57 but it'll be tough to get the 57-58 diffs (now dk is dead) if i can't recover the disk (sent it to a data recovery place)
-skito
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Chad wrote:don't i know it! Windows eXtra crapPy PROFESSIONAL CRASHED and trashed my fat32 partitions, so don't give microsoft any praise, I'm about to kick in bill's skull and my monitor when i'm installing XP for the THIRD TIME and the install screen boastfully says "windows XP professional is now more stable and reliable!" fuck you gates. At least in XP when you get a BSOD it doesn't blame the user for not shuting down properly like 98 does :)
(even though 99% of the time the user did shut down properly it was windows that craped up)

I luckily had a linux partition, and it's rock solid bootable and still stable inbetween the corrupted fat32 and ntfs partitions i "used" to have. on second thought i won't be installing a ext2fs reader on windows for the very reason if this happens again windows would probably trash the ext2fs too. unfortunately my mame58 roms were on the fat32 partition, i think i have a backup of all mame57 but it'll be tough to get the 57-58 diffs (now dk is dead) if i can't recover the disk (sent it to a data recovery place)
I wouldn't trust writing to ext2 from within Windows, but I've used an ext2 reader at times (the drive wouldn't work in the old system, and I needed to recover some of the files before it died completely). But yeah, I wouldn't use it for general use either.

I have all of the roms up to 0.57, but I haven't gotten any of the 0.58 roms yet. I should have grabbed them before mame.dk went down :( I'll snag the from usenet or a friend someday though.

I haven't found XP Pro to be bad, except for some minor annoying bugs (which I reported during the beta, but MS decided not to bother fixing them). Windows 2000 is probably better overall though. I'm basically using XP now, just so I can have the nicer looking icons in Miranda ICQ. How lame, eh? :)
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net